Sunday, May 23, 2010

Midwest is Best

I don't know if it's because we're headed to Minneapolis-St. Paul next weekend, or if it's because my friends are posting photos from their current trip to Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, but I've been feeling nostalgic for the Midwest lately.


Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about some of the recipes from my childhood, and the one that kept coming to mind was my grandmother's pineapple upside-down cake. Even though I haven't had it for years, I decided on impulse to buy a can of pineapple rings and a jar of maraschino cherries at the grocery store today, and I whipped up my own version of my grandma's recipe.



The hardest part was flipping it over... considering the amount of butter and oil that goes into this cake, you'd think it would be easy to get out in one piece. Luckily, even though I managed to break off a corner, I was able to put it back together enough that you can't really tell the difference! Clearly, I'm a Midwest Diva. :-)



1 comment:

Catch Her in the Wry said...

Now just add some meatloaf, escalloped potatoes, green beans and a cold PBR.