Sunday, May 2, 2010

Too fat for leggings?


Definatalie wrote this the other day, and I wanted to share it here because it really struck a chord with me.

I love leggings because they're cute and comfortable, but every time I put them on I have a debate with myself about whether to leave the house wearing them.

Not because I felt unattractive (quite the opposite, actually), but because to wear leggings as a fat girl is a political statement, and I have to decide if I'm ready to deal with the hateful backlash that might come with walking out my front door and into the general public.

Today, I wore leggings, thank-you-very-much.



4 comments:

Katherine K. said...

Yes!! Good choice! You look great!!

(Personally, I don't think leggings are flattering on super-skinny girls, anyway...)

Cassie said...

Rock it, girl! I started following Fatshionista a few months ago and it's amazing.

Jane said...

Thanks!

Katherine: I think the most flattering outfits are the ones we feel confident in. :)

Cassie: I love Fatshionista too. Isn't the internet great? I wish I'd had access to all these great blogs when I was in high school and hiding behind baggy t-shirts and jeans.

Carich said...

To me, you look like you stepped off the (virtual) pages of academic chic (www.academichic.com).

On a somewhat related note, have you seen this site: http://uiucnopants.com/. They make fun of *everyone* in leggings :)