Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Class of '99

A few days ago, I got the first news that my 10-year high school reunion is in the works. It was kind of a shock to me -- it's hard to believe it's been that long. I'm pretty sure I'm going to attend, even though high school wasn't exactly the best four years of my life. In some ways, I think it'll be good for me... I'm still a freak, and possibly still an outcast, but at least now I'm comfortable in my own skin.

Mostly, I'm going to go my reunion because I'm nosy. I'm curious to see what my classmates are like these days, now that we've grown out of our hormone-addled adolescence. Thanks to MySpace and Facebook, I have a general idea of what a lot them are up to these days, but there are definitely a handful of high school friends who haven't jumped on the social networking bandwagon. Hopefully at least a couple of those folks will show up!

Last year, I went with AB to his 10-year reunion, and I'm afraid that it's spoiled me... His whole class was really close, and AB is still good friends with quite a few of his classmates, so the experience was very different than what I'm expecting from my reunion. It turned out that I had already met a LOT of people from AB's class, so even for me it was like partying with a bunch of old friends, plus some interesting new ones! I guess I've met dozens of IMSA folks over the years, but I don't think I've introduced AB to more than three or four people who went to my high school.

Have any of you attended or skipped your 10-year reunion? If you went, what was it like? :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our 10-year was last summer and it was a blast, but that's mostly because I *still* hang out with a number of HS people.

It's good to see people you haven't seen in a while, but I was disappointed by the people who *didn't* come. And it seemed that people mostly stuck in the same cliques from HS. It's worth it for the nosiness factor alone!

btw- if you haven't done so already, check out my latest blog post... it might make you laugh!

Nut nut said...

I went to my class reunion last year. And it was a serious disappointment. They decided to have it at the canopy club, which was a horrible idea. I mean seriously, a noisy bar?!?! Awful. On top of that there were only 2 people there that I was good friends with in high school and they were pretty much the only people that I talked to at the reunion. This was mostly due to the fact that even though 10 years had passed, no one seemed to have grown out of the cliquey state of mind at all. I was a quiet, shy and definitely not popular in high school, but I have changed ALOT in 10 years and was interested to see and chat with all the other people that were there. That didn't happen because apparently I am still not cool, and mostly the 'cool' people from high school were the ones who actually came to the reunion. I don't want to say that I'm not glad I went, but I am still in disbelief at how everyone else was pretty much the same and still their somewhat snotty selves. Maybe 10 years isn't enough, but I know I'm much different and wanted to know what tracks of life people had chosen. Maybe I expected to much. I'm glad I went just to know that sometimes people don't change, it was actually kind of a life lesson. You should definitely go to yours, but don't get your expectations too high!

Jane said...

carich & nut nut: The word I've been hearing across the board from people is "cliqueish." I'm sure I'm going to be completely confused at my reunion, since I'm not even sure which clique I was part of. I'll probably break all kinds of unspoken rules by talking to everybody and not whispering about folks behind their backs. ;-)

Chris said...

I've been hearing about our impending reunion too. It looks as though I might not be able to make it, if they're having it in August. The curiosity factor would be one of the main reasons that I would be interested in going back, anyway. I don't think I would know who to talk to either...I wandered between social groups within our class throughout those years (and even wandered through a few at IMSA), but after graduation I pretty much cut all ties.

Jane said...

Chris: I had forgotten that you had a stint at IMSA. Too bad you might not make it to the reunion... I'd hate to be the only representative of the California contingent! ;)

Anonymous said...

my 10 year reunion is this year... maybe even next month, but i am not going. i have a great life now and that's what matters most.